28 October 2008

Tom Thumb

America is going well. I've pretty much been going non-stop despite the jet lag but finally today things slowed down so I figured I'd go wander around the grocery store. I didn't need anything in particular, just wanted to see what's new in the world of food.

So I walked to Tom Thumb. (that's right, I walked. It's only 5 minutes, although in this land where no one walks anywhere it did feel a little strange) I got there, grabbed a little basket and walked slowly up and down each and every aisle just taking it all in. I've already done the walmart thing and it wasn't so bad, so today I wasn't going slow because I was overwhelmed, I was mainly intrigued.

I hadn't been there but 5 minutes when I ran into the first person who worked there who asked me if he could help me. I said no thanks and continued wandering with my empty basket. 2 minutes later someone else asked if I needed help finding something and I said no thanks. not 2 minutes later another guy asked if he could help me. I was like 'no thanks, I'm just looking'. The look on his face told me that was the wrong thing to say...who goes to the grocery store just to look??

No lie, 6 different people asked me if they could help me find something and they all did it with a smile. I probably did look a little strange...carrying around an empty basket and spending 5 minutes studying the different flavors of pop tarts but still, what is with all this customer service? I really missed it in Sudan when it was non-existent but today I wanted to turn around and say 'Did I ask you if you could help me find something? No. So please quit bothering me.'

Before you think I'm a horrible person I would like to point out that this is probably just a little reverse culture shock, nothing to worry about. I mean, I didn't actually say it out loud or anything. I guess I just have to get used to friendly people who are actually here to help.

2 comments:

Brandon and April said...

haha!! it was the exact opposite for us! in china we never even had to leave an aisle to find help. here it seems like we have to walk to the other end of the store to find help! :)

just an observation...this was your first post (i think) to refer to the Sandbox by it's real name. :)

Anonymous said...

My reverse culture shock was pretty much just being incredibly indecisive. Glad to see you could overcome, or rather by-pass, that. What grocery store was it? I'm pretty sure the Kroger stores around here wouldn't really care as much as your store did.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Steph